Biltong Cheesy ChipsGavin Smith
- 200 g maris piper potatoes
- 60 g cheddar cheese
- 50 g original sliced biltong (substitute this for chilli or peri peri if you like to spice it up)
- dripping or other animal fat (enough to half-fill your pan when melted)
- Peel and cut potatoes into chips (approx 1 cm thick)
- Place chips in a pan of cold, salted water and bring to the boil, simmer until soft to the point of a knife
- Drain, pat dry, and put in the fridge until cold
- Heat the fat to 120c, add the cold chips and cook in an uncrowded pan for 5 minutes
- Remove, pat dry and refrigerate
- When you are ready to eat the chips, heat the fat to 160c ass the chips and cook until golden and crispy
- Remove the chips from the fat, drain, throw over the cheese and biltong and enjoy!
- You could always cheat and grab the chips from your local chip shop, add your own cheese and biltong......... "Just saying!"
Share this Recipe